Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Creamy Tomato Soup with Pesto

This was delicious and definitely one I'd make again. I'd go as far as to say it was the best tomato soup I've ever eaten. I'd for sure serve with grilled cheese. :)

1 (32 oz) container chicken broth (I'll sometimes use 14 oz and water)
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes with juice
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes with garlic and onion (or something similar)
1 cup half-and-half cream
salt and pepper to taste
2 Tbs. basil pesto

I blend the two cans of diced tomatoes together while bringing the broth to a boil. Once the broth is brought to a boil, boil it until reduced by about 2/3-1/2. Then add the blended tomatoes to the broth and return to a simmer. Pour in the half-and-half, turn the heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper if you'd like and add the basil pesto once you're ready to serve. You can get the basil pesto in the refrigerated section.

No comments: