Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Spicy Chicken and Mushroom Soup

I had this soup the other week and I have not been able to stop thinking about it! If you like Indian flavor, then this is the soup for you. Best of all? I can probably use my new immersion blender on it! The only problem is it didn't make a ton, so you might want to double it.

8oz boneless chicken
6 Tbsp ghee or butter
1/2 tsp crushed garlic
1 tsp garam masala (I have a lot more than I will ever use if you
don't want to buy it)
1 tsp crushed black peppercorns
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 medium leek, sliced (also good with onion)
1 cup of mushrooms (3 oz) sliced
1/3 cup corn (I use frozen)
1 and 1/4 cups water
1 cup light cream (I confess - I sometimes use mix of sour cream and
milk. still good)
1 Tbsp chopped fresh coriander (cilantro) - (sometimes I don't have it
and it is fine without)
1 tsp dried red chillies (optional)

Cut chicken into very fine strips. Melt butter in medium pan. Lower
heat slightly and add garlic and garam masala. Lower heat even further
and add pepper, salt, nutmeg. Finally add the chicken pieces, sliced
leek, mushrooms, and corn. Cook, stirring constantly for 5-7 minutes
or until chicken is cooked through.

Remove from heat and cool slightly. Transfer 3/4 of mix into blender,
add water, and process for about one minute. Pour the puree back into
the pan and stir with the rest of the mixture. Bring to boil over a
medium heat. Lower heat and stir in the cream. Add fresh coriander to
taste for seasoning. Serve hot, garnished with red chillies if
desired.

Courtesy of Taralyn

No comments: