Tuesday, August 31, 2010
Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake Torte
Oh my. Oh my. Please do yourself a favor and make this once before the summer ends. But invite friends over, because it is so rich, it is hard to eat with just two adults (my kids found the lemon too tart so didn't put much of a dent in it).
1 package (16 oz) pound cake (plus ingredients to make cake)
1 large lemon
3/4 cup boiling water
1 (6oz) pkg. lemon jello
1 (8oz) pkg. cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup cold milk
1 (12 oz) container cool whip, thawed
1 (3.4oz) cheesecake instant pudding and pie filling
1 kiwi, peeled, sliced and cut in half
1 cup blueberries
lemon slices and fresh mint (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400. Line jellyroll pan with a 13-inch piece of parchment paper. Prepare cake mix, pour into pan, spreading evenly. Bake 15-18 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Using edges of paper, carefully lift cake onto cooling rack. Cool completely.
2. Zest lemon and set aside. Juice lemon (1/4 cup of juice). Pour boiling water into small bowl. Add jello and 2 Tbl. of juice. Reserve remaining juice for cream cheese mixture. Stir until jello is dissolved.
3. Invert cooled cake onto a cutting board and remove paper. Prick cake at 1/2 inch intervals using a fork. Using a pastry brush, brush cake evenly wiht all but 2 Tbl of jello mixture. Trim 1/4 inch around edge of cake; discard edges. Cut cake crosswise into 3 equal layers.
4. In big bowl, combine cream cheese and remaining 2 Tbl lemon juice. Whisk until smooth. Add milk; whisk until smooth. Spoon whipped topping over cream cheese mixture (do not mix). Sprinkle with pudding mix; mix well until smooth. Mixture will be thick.
5. Place 1 cake layer on oval cake platter. Use an open star decorator tip on plastic bag or piping tool. Pipe a straight border around edge of cake layer. Scoop four large spoonfuls of filling down the center; spread evenly to border. Top with second cake layer. Repeat filling as above. For third layer, pipe a decorative border around edge. Spread any remaining filling down center.
6. Arrange kiwi slices on top of cake. Add blueberries to reserved jello mixture; mix gently. (If jello mixture has set, microwave about 10 seconds or until softened). Spoon blueberries over the top of cake; sprinkle with reserved zest. Garnish with lemon slices and mint leaves, if desired.
Thanks Pampered Chef! Your'e the best.